Mr. Vecchione focuses his practice on strategic litigation in the federal district and appellate courts. He has represented private clients before Courts throughout the nation. He is an experienced trial and appellate attorney having tried cases, and argued appeals across the country over a quarter of a century in private practice. He is a member of the bars of the State of New York, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as the Supreme Court of the United States and many federal courts. His cases are reported in scores of published opinions. He also has published op-eds advancing the freedom agenda and constitutional order on many topics in the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Times and many other forums.
• The State of New York-1990
• The District of Columbia-1992
• The Supreme Court of the United States-2005
• The Commonwealth of Virginia-2007
Mr. Vecchione is also admitted to the 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th and the D.C. Circuit, and, inter alia, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, as well as the federal district for the District of Columbia and the federal district for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Georgetown University Law Center
Washington, DC, J.D. cum laude, 1989
Associate Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Editorialist, Georgetown Law Weekly
President, Georgetown Federalist Society
Clinton, NY, B.A. with honors, Government, (Economics, Minor) 1986
News Editor, Hamilton Spectator
President, Hamilton Debate Team
Member Theta Delta Chi Fraternity, Psi Chapter
Law for Nurse Leaders, A Comprehensive Reference, Springer Publishing Company, (2011), Chapter 4, Laws Governing the Workplace (with Paula DiMeo Grant).
Vaclav Havel Was A Champion of Freedom
Frum Forum, December 18, 2011.
Did Republicans Lose Because of George Bush?
Frum Forum January 25th, 2009.
“What is Confession Good for Now?”
National Law Journal, John J. Vecchione and Andre P. Barlow.
As the Supreme Court considers cert in an antitrust prosecution, John Vecchione and Andre Barlow warn that all sorts of government amnesty programs might be affected. Subscription required. October 23, 2006
“In Search of a Hero”
Washington Times, August 2, 2001.
“Supply Side is a Winning Strategy”
Wall Street Journal, May 5, 1999.
“The Effect of Regime Type on Government Response to Economic Crisis”
The Hamilton Social Science Review, Spring 1987.
• The Federalist Society
• The Republican National Lawyers Association
John J. Vecchione Law, PLLC, Fairfax, VA
Valad & Vecchione, PLLC
Principal 2006 – 2016
• Lead trial and appellate counsel and key member of MDL in product liability pharmaceutical litigation. In re Aredia/Zometa Products Liability Lit., 3:06-md-01760 (M.D. /Tenn). Oversaw all aspects of mass tort litigation in federal and state courts.
• Lead trial and litigation counsel on non-compete and employment law litigation. Advise corporations and individuals on employment law, and non-compete contracts and strategies.
• Lead attorney on all Supreme Court of the United States certiorari briefing in mass tort practice.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, Washington, DC
Special Counsel 2003 – 2006
• Engaged in all aspects of civil litigation including trial of anti-trust, fraud, employment and complex commercial disputes.
• Defended and advised corporations on employment law and non-discrimination, particularly District of Columbia law.
Kutak Rock, LLP, Washington D.C.
Of Counsel 2001 – 2003
• General commercial litigator involved in anti-trust, employment and other commercial litigation.
Ludwig & Robinson, Washington D.C.
Member 2000 – 2001
• General commercial litigation– UCC litigation, Employment-labor litigation and securities defense litigation.
Ross & Hardies, Washington, D.C.
Associate 1990 – 1999
• White collar criminal defense including resisting extradition and assisting in defense of criminal fraud charges.
• Civil practice included both defense and prosecution of contract, tort, anti-trust and labor matters.
Law Clerk-The Honorable Alfred J. Lechner, Jr., United States District Court for the District of New Jersey-1989-1990.
T.V. Show-The People’s Court”, Law Clerk- The Honorable Joseph A. Wapner, Jr. presiding-Spring 1989.
Blogger, Frum Forum, from inception to closing.
Milestones and Highlights
Named to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee-In re Aredia Zometa Products Liability Litigation, 3:06-MD-1750 (M.D./Tenn.)-2006
Winter v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 739 F.3d 405 (8thCir., 2013) (successfully opposed on appeal Defendant’s attempt to reverse trial verdict below).
Fussman v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 509 Fed. Appx. 215, 2013 WL 474330 (4th Cir.) cert. denied,134 S.Ct. 88, (Oct. 07, 2013) (successfully opposed on appeal Defendant’s attempt to remove punitive judgment, for new trial and to obtain certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States).
Davids v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 977 F.Supp.2d 171 (S.D.N.Y., 2013) (lead trial counsel) (preserved trial win including punitive damages in post-trial motions).
Guenther v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 2013 WL 6049035 (M.D. Fla., 2013) (successfully defended million-dollar judgment against post-trial defendant motions).
Georges v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 988 F.Supp.2d 1152 (C.D.Cal., 2013) (lead trial counsel) (successfully defended two million plus dollar judgment against defendant from post-trial motions).
Stevens v. Novartis Pharms. Corp., 358 Mont. 474, (Mont., 2010) cert. denied.,131 S.Ct. 2938, ___U.S.____, (2011) (defended multimillion dollar verdict and obtained denial of certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States).
Federal Marketing v. Virginia Imp. Prod., 823 A.2d 513 (D.C., 2003) (lead appellate) successfully defended award of contempt sanctions for failing to abide by consent order before D.C. Court of Appeals.
Lofton v. TLC Laser Eye Centers, Inc., 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1476 (D. Md.) (lead counsel) (Obtained injunction against enforcement of non-compete clause against a Lasik eye surgery provider).
Hunter v. Ark Restaraunts Corp., et. al, 3 F.Supp.2d 9 (D.D.C., 1998) (summary judgment granted in part for Defendant on plaintiff’s discrimination claims).
Ryzcek v. Guest Services, Inc., 877 F.Supp.754 (1995) (lead counsel) (successfully represented plaintiff in first same-sex sexual harassment case in the District of Columbia).