Cause of Action Institute, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that uses investigative, legal, and communications tools to educate the public on how government accountability and transparency protects taxpayer interests and economic opportunity is looking for extremely motivated, excellence-oriented professionals to join the team in the following roles. Cause of Action addresses key threats to economic freedom through “sunshine advocacy” in the form of information requests under the Freedom of Information Act, regulatory comments and strategic, direct litigation. Cause of Action’s boutique-sized staff and expertise in investigative advocacy enables it to offer premier legal services to individuals and organizations of all sizes in local and national matters. We offer innovative and challenging work, a friendly environment and excellent benefits. We are looking for individuals with diverse backgrounds and experience to complement our strengths and become part of our exciting future.
Cause of Action Institute is looking to hire a Counsel to advance a free society through strategic investigations and litigation to fight unconstitutional government overreach and expose waste, fraud, and abuse in the government. The organization is an independent 501(c) (3) public interest group that uses public advocacy and legal reform tools to ensure greater transparency in government, protect taxpayer interests, and promote economic freedom.
- Work with senior counsels and team leaders to manage matters including strategy, outreach, media, and delegation of assignments.
- Assist with strategic and tactical decisions in litigation working with senior counsels to fill gaps in legal knowledge.
- Assist with training junior attorneys and mentor existing staff to build their legal writing, advocacy, case management, and research skills.
- Ensure that effective messaging, outreach, and investigative work is occurring in addition to legal work.
- In consultation with senior counsels, manage assigned cases and matters for strategic litigation, meet with clients on strategic litigation matters, and research ways to leverage existing connections into new strategic litigation.
- Work with communications and investigative staff to assign and divide workloads relating to specific issues.
- Under leadership’s consultation, draft op-eds, columns, or articles presenting the organization’s work and ideas to legal academics and professionals.
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Admitted to the District of Columbia bar or eligible for admission within 90 days of hiring
- 4-7 years of experience in government investigations and complex federal litigation strongly preferred
- Federal clerkship experience, published scholarship, and/or moot court experience are highly preferred
- Demonstrated interest in government accountability work as well as administrative and constitutional law
- Experience and/or interest in the organization’s core competencies: executive branch oversight (Hatch Act, IG investigations), administrative law (APA), government accountability and transparency, FOIA, False Claims Act, regulatory overreach (ultra vires actions, Bivens actions, Federal Tort Claims Act actions), agency politicization, federal oversight, federal grant oversight, and 18 U.S.C. 1913/Byrd Anti-Lobbying Act issues
- An understanding of free market principles and a passion for advancing the mission of the organization is required
Click here to apply.